The perception of many is that golfing involves a leisurely walk across a golf course, or driving in a golf cart, and hitting a small white ball from time to time.
However, golf is a highly physical sport and the act of swinging a golf club, regardless how far or straight the ball goes is an extremely demanding sports activity.
This simple swinging action places significant stresses on the body in order to develop club head speed that exceeds 100 k/hr in less than 0.2 sec. The combination of poor conditioning, lack of core stability, overuse (excessive play), inadequate warm up and poor swing technique are factors that contribute to injuries, in particular back pain.
As a result, golfing injuries are common, particularly low back pain and golf-related elbow pain. As a specialist in this area, Dr Oei has worked with many golfers to provide successful treatment and subsequent injury prevention programs.
Management of low back pain (LBP)
- The management of the different types of low back pain vary a great deal. A comprehensive evaluation and examination of the patient is carried out.
- Having had a detailed examination, further investigations can be done to confirm the initial diagnosis.
- Following this, a treatment plan is devised
Treatment of LBP
- Reassurance, rest and medication in the acute period.
- Physical therapy modalities, when appropriate, comprising of Muscle Energy/PNF stretching or acupuncture.
- Trigger point injections, neural prolotherapy and prolotherapy injections have been shown to be effective in the treatment of chronic back pain.
- Surgery is indicated in discogenic low back pain that has not responded to all/any of the above measures.
- Golf fitness programme, comprising of stretching for flexibility, core stabilisation and strengthening of the important golf muscles.
- Advice on proper back mechanics to avoid further stresses on the spine.
- Video analysis of your golf swing
- Lessons from a golf pro to improve/correct your golf swing.
With correct diagnosis, treatment and an ongoing prevention programme, you will be back on the golf course in no time.